Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Pot Pies

Of course we had tons of turkey leftover from Thanksgiving.  That's what happens when you cook two 12lb turkeys for 6 people!  I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own pot pies but never got around to it so last night I finally did it.  And I'm not bragging or anything but they were YUMMY!!!!!  My hubby really liked them, of course he likes most of the stuff I make :)





Leftover Turkey Pot Pie

Ingredients
Note:  These are estimations because I didn't measure anything as I was making the pies! 
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup diced celery
2 medium carrots, diced
3 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart chicken broth/stock
10.5 oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
3 cups diced turkey
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 pre-made pie crusts

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large skillet sauté onions, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter until tender, approximately 7-9 minutes.
2. Add flour and salt and pepper, cook for a minute or two to get the flour taste cooked off.  After two minutes add approximately 2 cups of the chicken stock to the pan.  Let simmer for 5 minutes until its starts to thicken.  Once the mixture is thick add can of soup, turkey and peas.
3. In individual pie pans put a piece of pie crust on the bottom, fill with turkey mixture and top with more pie crust.  Make sure to cut a slit in the top of the pie crust so the steam has a place to escape while baking.
4. Bake pies for approximately 30 minutes, or until pie crust on top is golden brown.








Note:  I only had 2 pie crusts when I went to make these (1 box has 2 crusts in it) so when I ran out of pie crust for the tops of my pies I had to improvise.  I dug through my refrigerator trying to find something to use for the top of my pies.  I came across a can of crescent rolls that I had leftover from Thanksgiving.  I popped them open, took two of the triangles, rolled them together and put it on top of the pie.  If you do this, like I did, make sure you either turn down the temperature of your oven and/or reduce the cooking time.  My pies with the crescent rolls on top were down within 20 minutes.  I tried both pies and I preferred the ones with the crescent rolls on top, they were flakier.



No comments:

Post a Comment