Monday, November 21, 2011

Open-Faced Enchiladas

These enchiladas have been in my family since I was born, or at least as long as I can remember.  My mom learned how to make them from my Grandma Riley (her mother-in-law).  I've changed the recipe a little because, honestly, when I moved out of the house I wanted to make them and couldn't remember exactly what went into them.


















Open-Faced Enchiladas
6 servings

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 lb ground beef
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 4.5oz can diced green chilies
1 7 oz can diced olives
1 cup salsa (I used Pace)
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
mixed shredded cheese
sour cream (optional)

Directions
1. Sautee diced onions in oil for a few minutes to make them soft.  Add ground beef and brown.  Add salt, pepper and cumin.
2. Once beef is browned add green chilies, olives and salsa.  Warm through.
3. In a separate small pan warm the enchilada sauce.  Place one tortilla at a time in the sauce until soft, approximately 30 seconds.  (Personally I like to fry my tortillas to a crisp before I put them in the sauce but its a personal preference).
4. To stack the enchiladas place one tortilla on a plate, top with 1/2 cup of meat mixture and shredded cheese and then repeat with another tortilla, 1/2 cup of meat mixture and more cheese.  Top with a dollop of sour cream if you like.




1 comment:

  1. How could these be anything but delicious?! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving~

    ReplyDelete