Friday, December 16, 2011

Pork Saltimbocca w/Polenta

Honestly I have no idea what Saltimbocca is.  I was looking through my Cooking Light cookbook one day to try and find some new recipes to make and I saw the picture of Pork Saltimbocca and it looked really yummy so I made it.  My family (the husband and my 13 yo son) don't really like it when I try something new like this.  Their comments were "what's sage?  what's prosciutto?  what's polenta?"  LOL I guess until lately they have been pretty stuck in their comfort zone.  In the end I thought it was really tasty, both my husband and son said it was different but good.



Pork Saltimbocca w/Polenta
adapted from Cooking Light Pork Saltimbocca

Ingredients
Pork:
6 boneless center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed
6 very thing slices prosciutto
6 large fresh sage leaves
1/3 cup shredded sharp provolone cheese (recipe says fontina but I didn't have any)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh sage

Polenta:
2 cups milk
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 cup instant polenta
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. To prepare the pork, place each chop between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, pound to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.  Arrange 1 prosciutto slice over each chop, top with 1 sage leaf and about 1 tablespoon cheese.  Fold chops in half to sandwich filling, secure with wooden picks.  Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with pepper and salt.  Place flour in a shallow dish, dredge stuffed chops in flour.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat.  Add chops, cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove chops from pan, cover and set aside.
3. Add chicken broth to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits, cook until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.  Stir in 1 tablespoon sliced sage.  Reduce heat to medium. Return chops to pan, cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, turning once.  Removed wooden picks from chops.
4. To prepare polenta, bring milk and chicken broth to boil.  Gradually stir in polenta and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2 minutes.
5. To serve arrange 1/2 cup polenta on plate, top with a chop and drizzle with sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment