Friday, December 16, 2011

Lemon Chicken

The other night I asked the hubby what he wanted for dinner.  Its always a loaded question.  He always comes up with something way off in left field.  This specific night when I asked he first said, "well, what are my choices" and so I started naming off a few things I knew I had all the ingredients in the house to make.  Then he says "I want lemon chicken!"  Lemon chicken?  Where did that come from?  I checked my produce basket (I love my produce basket!  See picture below)  and I actually had several lemons that needed to be used so I started throwing things together to make some lemon chicken.  No recipe, just my imagination, I hope I can remember what I put in it since I made it 4 days ago!




Lemon Chicken


Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
salt and pepper to taste
small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
Cooked rice

Directions
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Saute onion and garlic for a few minutes, until soft, about 3 minutes.  Salt and pepper both sides of chicken tenders.  Add chicken to onions and garlic, cook for about 3-4 minutes per side.
2. Remove chicken from pan, add most of the chicken broth (reserve about 1/4 cup to mix with the corn starch).  Bring broth to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, mix reserved broth and corn starch in a small bowl.  Add starch mixture to the simmering broth and allow to thicken.  
3. Add chicken back into pan with lemon juice and zest, cook until chicken is completely cook through.
4. Serve chicken over rice with lemon gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment